domingo, 13 de fevereiro de 2011

O prazer de ver

Chorus: I have crossed the narrows
of Euripos, I came sailing and I beached
at Aulis on the sands. I left
Calchis, my city, where the spring
of Arethousa wells up and runs flashing
down to the sea. I came
to see for myself this army of the Achains,
the oar-winged ships of the heroes,
the thousand galleys
which blond Menelaos and Agamemnon of the same
great lineage sent,
as our husbands tell us,
to fetch Helen again:
Helen.
(…) Through the grove
where the victims die on the altar
of Artemis I came
running, and I blushed for shyness
at my fever to see
the pitched strength of the Danaans, the tents
hung with weapons, the clanging
press of armed horsemen.
(…) And I came to where the ships lie. Even a god
would find no words for the way that sight
stirs a woman’s eyes. Pleasure took my breath away.

Eurípides, Ifigénia em Áulis (tradução de W. S. Merwin e George E. Dimock, Jr., in The Complete Euripides, vol. II, Oxford University Press, 2010).  

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário