quarta-feira, 1 de agosto de 2012

This is my son, he speaks Greek

In 1957, at 18 years of age, future billionaire and founder of CNN, Ted Turner, informed his father that he would be majoring in Classics after being inspired by a professor at Brown University. His father was furious to say the least, and responded to his son's announcement with the following despairing letter — a letter which Ted later sent to the college paper in retaliation, who then reprinted it in full.

A carta começa assim:

My dear son, I am appalled, even horrified, that you have adopted Classics as a major. As a matter of fact, I almost puked on the way home today. I suppose that I am old-fashioned enough to believe that the purpose of an education is to enable one to develop a community of interest with his fellow men, to learn to know them, and to learn how to get along with them. In order to do this, of course, he must learn what motivates them, and how to impel them to be pleased with his objectives and desires.

Continuar a ler aqui.

1 comentário: