segunda-feira, 12 de agosto de 2013

«... crippled for life by a classical education ...»



Michael Baxandall foi um dos grandes historiadores de arte do século XX. O Instituto Warburg disponibilizou hoje algumas transcrições do Getty de entrevistas pessoais realizadas nos anos 80: Aqui.


[BAXANDALL]
[One of the teachers] who was very importat to me was a man called Harold Mason, partly because he himself was an ex-classicist [*Michael Baxandall tinha também ele completado um semestre em Clássicas em Cambridge]. I think he was patient and tender with me because of this — I needed a lot of teaching. Leavis, on the other hand, said at the end of my first term that I'd been crippled for life by a classical education, which may be true I think in some ways.

[SMITH]
What did Leavis mean by that?

[BAXANDALL]
That I had a bad, "philological" sense of language.

[SMITH]
Exactly the thing that a classical training is supposed to provide you with.

[BAXANDALL]
Yes. But I think he was getting at the man he was reporting to, who was head of classics at Downing. It was sort of a joke, but only half a joke.

[14-15]

Sem comentários:

Enviar um comentário